There are plenty of vegan Mac & Cheese recipes out there. A good majority of them use a cashew-base, which allows for a cheesier taste. However, I don’t know about your area, but cashews are freakin’ expensive. Unless you know you are going to use them regularly, I don’t think they are worth buying. Okay, sure, I have some now, but I really think they are a bit too expensive for my taste in general.
That being said, I wanted to deliver you guys a recipe I made again a few days ago, based off one I made a while back. It’s stupidly easy. Give it a try!
- Pasta of choice
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 half of an onion
- *1 half of a red pepper OR a few dashes of paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion Powder
- Dijon mustard (no more than half a teaspoon)
- Plant milk of your choice (I used almond)
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Wash, scrub, cut, and boil the sweet potatoes
- Wash, scrub, and cut the carrots, as well as half an onion and the *red pepper; place into a pan and sauté with some water until softened.
- Cook pasta according to directions/however you cook them.
- Throw the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, and *red pepper/paprika into a blender, along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, and a few dashes of (optional) nutmeg to the mixture. Blend.
- Pour well-blended mixture on top of pasta. Enjoy!
* When I originally made this recipe, I used a red pepper in it. However, when I made this again, I forgot I didn't have any red pepper, so I used paprika instead. You can do either one.
Adapted from Veggies Don't Bite
So, first you soften the sweet potatoes, carrots, and onion (and red pepper if you actually remember to include that). Once that’s done, I throw them into a blender, start the pasta (using the same pot I boiled the potatoes in, although with new water), and blend the mixture together with the spices listed above plus Dijon mustard and almond milk (or whatever plant-based milk you want) to thin it out into a creamy consistency.
Then you get THIS deliciousness right here:
Does it taste like Mac & Cheese?
Is it CREAMY like Mac & Cheese?
So, if you are missing that creamy cheese texture, definitely try this. If you’re looking for a cheesy taste, try the recipes linked below.
If you are looking for some additional vegan equivalents to Mac & Cheese that are not cashew-based, here are few suggestions:
Veggies Don’t Bite – Ultimate Cheese Sauce
The Glowing Fridge – The Ultimate Vegan Mac & Cheese
The Green Forks – Vegan Mac & Cheese
Petite Allergy Treats – Dairy-Free Mac & Cheese (Gluten-Free Vegan)
If you are looking for CASHEW-BASED vegan Mac & Cheese, you can go here: